LAVAL COMICCON 2019 COSTUME CONTEST GUIDELINES AND RULES
Interested participants will need to sign up at our registration booth (location TBA). All cosplayers must register for the contest if they wish to enter, no last minute entries will be accepted. Hours for signing up for the costume contest will be announced on this site so stay tuned for updates!
All participants 13 and over are welcome to enter our costume contest, which will be held on Saturday on the main stage toward the end of the day. Any costume of any genre that fits the rules of the show are welcome to enter!
HOW TO ENTER
- Sign up at the designated table on the day of the event. A limited number of entries will be available so make sure to arrive early!
- You will be pre-judged before going up on stage, so make sure you are in full costume including make-up at that time. If you are entering a group contest make sure the entire group is present.
- When signing up you will be asked for your real name, the character you are cosplaying, and the series in which the character is represented.
- Contestants may sign up as groups as well. Each group counts as one participation in the group competition.
Here are the categories/awards you can compete for:
- Best In Show
- Best Presentation
- Best Craftmanship
- Best Group (2 or more people)
- 3 Judges Choice/Honorable Mentions
*LCC is not an International Costumer’s Guild affiliated costume contest. There are no categories for participants other than the ones listed above.
- Best In Show: TBD
- Best Presentation: TBD
- Best Craftmanship: TBD
- Best Group: TBD
- Judges Choice: TBD
Costume Contest Rules
- All contest participants must have a valid Laval Comic-Con badge good for the day of the contest. Badge must not be a complimentary or discounted badge so dealers, panelists, volunteer, press, and special guests are ineligible.
- Staff members of the Laval Comic-Con are not eligible for the costume contest. Invited costume group members (501st, etc.) attending under a discounted or complimentary ticket are not eligible for the costume contest.
- The costume contest will be judged according to the categories and prizes listed above.
- The costume contest will be for participants 13 years of age and older. Children under 13 can enter as part of a group if the legal guardians are also participating in the same group.
- All costumes must abide by the rules of the convention’s dress and weapons policy.
- No glitter, confetti, pyrotechnics, live flames, fireworks, projectiles, or smoke generators of any kind are permitted.
- Any props brought onstage must leave the stage with you within your allotted time or you will be disqualified. No ninjas will be provided.
- You may use a model for the costume, but the person who created the costume must be present for the judging and costume contest. Group entries may be made by either a single member of the group or multiple members of the group.
- No electrical connections will be provided. If your costume requires power it must be self-contained within the costume.
- Please provide a soundtrack for your entry via USB key only. No soundtrack will be otherwise provided by the event staff and volunteers.
- Entries are limited to 1 minute on stage. If you go over this allotted time, your music will be cut, lights will be turned off and you will be disqualified.
- Costumes are judged based on craftsmanship, detail work, accuracy, and overall presentation of the costume.
- We have the right to reject an entry based on inappropriate, unsafe, or illegal behavior and/or violations of the family friendly nature of the convention.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
- Certain circumstances may require the rules to be changed without notice.
- Awards will be handed out immediately after the show so participants are invited to remain in the hall after going on stage.